January is always a fun time to hear what all of your friends feel is lacking in their life. Resolutions are the quickest way to learn what people want in their life, but haven’t yet pursued. Most of these, as we well know, end up being forgotten by now, but then there are some that actually change lives.
One of my best friends told me that her resolution was to take her family on more staycations. That she wanted to explore her city, her county, and her state in a way she never had before. I thought that sounded like an amazing idea and immediately started thinking about doing my own.
Here are some suggestions for planning your own staycation and exploring the area around you in a way you never have before!
- Set some ground rules first: are you going to allow technology? Will there be a time limit, money limit, driving limit? Setting expectations for your staycation will allow every to have more fun!
- Do something artsy fartsy. Is there a local museum that you’ve never been to? What play is being performed at the theatre? Is there an art class being offered that sounds amazing?
- Check out your local library. There are a lot of amazing activities being offered every week that you should definitely look into.
- Word of mouth is important. Your friends are always swooning about that one spot. You keep saying you’ll try it, but you haven’t yet. There’s no time like the present!
- Are there historical sites? Every area is known for something and, more often than not, there’s a historical site commemorating it. Take the chance to go learn about local history.
- Visit a tourist spot. There’s always one place that attracts tourists. Go in and see what all the fuss is about.
- Go to the zoo or aquarium. Because animals are always fun!
- Pick a restaurant you’ve never been to that you want to try. Is there one that does dinner theatre or a murder mystery play? Find the most unique one and give it a go.
- Find a festival. This will depend entirely on the time of year and where you live, but there are probably dozens of festivals in your area that you never even realized were there.
- Sporting events. Check out your local sports team and root for them until you go hoarse!
- Whatever you do, be sure to wear sunscreen, dress appropriately, and, above all, HAVE FUN!
What kinds of staycations have you gone on? Let us know what fun places are in your area that people just HAVE to visit!